The 3 Lights for Hearing God’s Voice in your Life
1. The leadings of the Holy Spirit
2. Objective Truth (from God’s Word and God’s World)
3. Circumstances in our lives
“The circumstances of our daily life are to us an infallible indication of God’s will, when they concur with the inward promptings of the spirit and with the Word of God.” Frederick B. Meyer, The Secret of Guidance.
“For those who do not yet have a confident, working familiarity with this voice, however, trying to discern the three lights may speedily result in a swirl of confusion, leaving them hopelessly adrift or wrecked on the shoals of spiritual misadventures.” Willard, Dallas, Hearing God: Developing a Conversational Relationship with God
1. The Spirit = the Invisible Presence of God.
2 Corinthians 3: 17-18 Now the Lord is the Spirit … And we all … are being transformed into his image with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit.
2. The Spirit leads by intuition, promptings, and direction in your consciousness, not Emotion.
Romans 8: 5b-6; 16 Those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires. The mind governed by the flesh is death, but the mind governed by the Spirit is life and peace …16 The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God’s children.
3. The Spirit is like a Spotlight that Focuses us on Jesus Christ.
Ephesians 3:16-17 I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, 17 so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith.
4. The Spirit normally is a “still, quiet voice” (but be open to MORE).
1 Corinthians 6: 19 Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own
5. The Spirit typically works most actively through Spiritual Disciplines (fasting, meditation, etc.,)
1 Timothy 4: 7b-8 Train yourself to be godly. For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come.
The voice of the Holy Spirit vs my own subconscious voice? … Perhaps the rough distinction is this: The voice of the subconscious argues with you, tries to convince you; but the inner voice of God does not argue, does not try to convince you. It just speaks, and it is self-authenticating. It has the feel of the voice of God within it. E. Stanley Jones, A Song of Ascents